Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Gluten-Free Gourmet

The biggest pain about GF cooking is finding the correct combination of different flours to make your beloved recipes taste, well, not so grainy. Betty Hagman, affectionately called "The Gluten-Free Gourmet", has five starter recipes that can be used as substitutions for all-purpose flour in GF baking. I have tried one of them, and I was really impressed! Here is the GF Mix recipe.

Gluten-Free Mix (aka GF Mix)                                    For 9 cups of mix
Store in a dry cupboard.                      
2 parts rice flour                                                           6 cups
2/3 part potato starch                                                   2 cups
1/3 part tapioca starch                                                  1 cup
The GF Mix is often used to make cake, cookies, pies, waffles, pancakes and breads.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I have to say that after experimenting with different types of GF flours, I actually like Silvana Nardone's GF All Purpose Flour Mix recipe in her book "Cooking For Isaiah". I can't post the recipe on this blog, but I can tell you that her book is definitely worth buying! Try out her GF Flour in your recipes and see if you can't tell the difference between her flour and other flours! Thanks, Silvana! You've changed my attitude about being GFCF!!!

    ReplyDelete